- New Sportage GT-Line derivative slots in at the very top of Kia’s best-selling SUV range
- GT-Line specification offers myriad luxury and convenience features, as well as a number of sporty styling enhancements
- Refined, powerful delivery from a 1.6-litre turbocharged petrol engine coupled with an advanced dual-clutch transmission
- Intelligent AWD ensures surefooted traction on all surfaces
“Sportage has a nearly three-decade-long heritage, and remains Kia’s best-selling model globally,” says Stephen Crosse, Sales and Marketing Director, Kia South Africa. “Now, with the addition of the GT-Line derivative at the peak of the range, the Sportage is at its most expressive, dynamic and luxurious, and offers a distinguished last hurrah before the fifth-generation model debuts next year.”
The Sportage first made an appearance at the 1991 Tokyo Motor Show, introducing the concept of the ‘Urban SUV’ to consumers for the first time. It set the blueprint for a compact, practical SUV, suitable for use in a variety of environments when it launched in 1993, and successfully completed the gruelling Dakar Rally shortly afterwards.
The fourth and current-generation Sportage, which debuted locally in 2016 and set a record for The World’s Longest Test Drive, is considered the most popular Sportage yet, recording more than five-million global sales in 28 years.
Every day is an adventure
Setting the sleek GT-Line model apart from the rest of the range is a selection of stylish additions, including distinctive LED combination lamps front and rear, dual exhaust outlets resplendent in chrome trim, model-specific skid plates and striking 19-inch alloy wheels. These embellishments complement the Sportage’s timeless interplay of smart edges and smooth surfacing, said to be inspired by the design of modern fighter jets.
Inside the high-quality, spacious interior, the GT-Line boasts smart two-tone, diamond-patterned and perforated artificial leather trim on the seats, a glossy finish on the centre console, a GT-Line-specific flat-bottomed steering wheel, and a comprehensive 4.2-inch colour instrumentation cluster.
These features are in addition to the following standard items that render the Sportage GT-Line a comprehensively specified luxury SUV:
- Smart entry with push-button start
- Dual-zone automatic climate control
- Auto-folding mirrors
- 8-inch HD touchscreen infotainment with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- Electrically adjustable front seats, including lumbar support
- Seat heating for front and rear passengers
- Bi-LED headlights with an auto-on/off function
- Height-adjustable powered tailgate
- Panoramic sunroof
- Wireless smartphone charging
- Electro-chromatic rear-view mirror
- Cruise control
- ABS with Electronic Brake-force Distribution and Downhill Brake Control
- 6 airbags
- Electronic Stability Control
- Hill-start Assist Control
- ISOFIX child-seat anchor points
- Rear-view camera with front and rear parking-assist sensors
A Kia emblazoned with the GT-Line logo deserves an impressively tractable engine. Under the Sportage’s muscular bonnet beats a 1.6-litre T-GDi turbocharged petrol engine developing 130 kW of power at 5,500 r/min and 265 Nm of torque from 1,500 to 4,500 r/min. Powering all four wheels via an advanced 7-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission, the Sportage GT-Line accelerates from 0-100 km/h in just 9.1 seconds. Thanks to the widespread of maximum torque, overtaking slower-moving vehicles is a doddle, even when the SUV’s generous luggage space of 466 litres (1,455 litres of utility room) is filled to the brim.
Sportage for all reasons
“Whoever said family comfort and sporty performance don’t gel, clearly hadn’t driven the Sportage GT-Line yet,” says Crosse. “It’s a no-compromise SUV offering a fuel-efficient, turbocharged engine, a dynamic driving experience and a spacious cabin with class-leading technology that ensures the comfort and safety of your family.”
The limited-edition new Kia Sportage 1.6 T-GDi AWD GT-Line retails for R649,995, which includes Kia’s industry-leading Unlimited Kilometre / 5-year warranty (inclusive of Roadside Assistance), as well as a prepaid 5-year / 90,000 km service plan. The new Sportage GT-Line officially goes on sale across Kia South Africa’s national dealer network on 15 October 2021, with pre-orders open immediately.